Before You Start To Take Them
You must tell your doctor if:
- you are allergic to foods, dyes, preservatives or any other medicines.
- you have, or used to have, liver problems
- you suffer from severe constipation or have a blockage in your gut
- you have phenylketonuria, as Ondansetron ODT GH orally disintegrating tablets contain aspartame.
Zofran Cleft Lip And Cleft Palate
In 2012, the Centers for Disease control concluded that Zofran taken during pregnancy may double the risk of development of cleft lip or palate.
Cleft lip or palate is a skeletal abnormality that may result from Zofran use during pregnancy. Cleft lip and palate are caused by incomplete or improper development of the bones in the palate or roof of the mouth. This may leave a hole in this portion of the skull, exposing the sinuses and may leave the brain unprotected from infection. Many children with cleft lip have an incomplete front jaw, lip, and nose, making it difficult to breathe properly and may make it impossible for the child to nurse or eat.
Cleft lip or palate also results in significant facial disfigurement and will require surgery to correct. Even with surgical correction, in many cases, the malformation cannot be completely repaired, and the child may have permanent facial dis-figuration with continuing medical problems. Other retrospective studies have also shown that Zofran may double the risk of cleft lip or palate.
Kidney Impairment Can Be Costly
Although renal impairment is often reversible if the offending drug is discontinued, the condition can be costly and may require multiple interventions, including hospitalization, Dr. Naughton explained. To help you avoid getting to that point, we learned about medications that commonly cause kidney damage from Rebekah Krupski, PharmD, RPh, pharmacy resident at the Cleveland Clinic and clinical instructor of pharmacy practice at Northeast Ohio Medical University.
Read Also: Wine And Kidney Stones
What Side Effects Are Possible With This Medication
Many medications can cause side effects. A side effect is an unwanted response to a medication when it is taken in normal doses. Side effects can be mild or severe, temporary or permanent.
The side effects listed below are not experienced by everyone who takes this medication. If you are concerned about side effects, discuss the risks and benefits of this medication with your doctor.
The following side effects have been reported by at least 1% of people taking this medication. Many of these side effects can be managed, and some may go away on their own over time.
Contact your doctor if you experience these side effects and they are severe or bothersome. Your pharmacist may be able to advise you on managing side effects.
Stop taking the medication and seek immediate medical attention if any of the following occur:
- signs of a serious allergic reaction
- signs of heart problems
- signs of serotonin syndrome
- signs of a severe skin reaction
- temporary blindness
Some people may experience side effects other than those listed. Check with your doctor if you notice any symptom that worries you while you are taking this medication.
What Are Warnings And Precautions For Ondansetron
Pregnancy and Lactation with Ondansetron
- This medication contains ondansetron. Do not take Zofran, Zofran ODT, or Zuplenz if you are allergic to ondansetron or any ingredients contained in this drug
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately
- Coadministration with apomorphine combination reported to cause profound low blood pressure and loss of consciousness
- Ondansetron may mask progressiveileus or gastricdistention in patients who are undergoing abdominal surgery or experiencing chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting monitor for decreased bowel activity, particularly in patients with risk factors for gastrointestinal obstruction
- See also “What Are Side Effects Associated with Using Ondansetron?
- See also “What Are Side Effects Associated with Using Ondansetron?
Read Also: What Causes Kidney Problems In Humans
What Are Dosages Of Ondansetron
Dosages of Ondansetron
Dosage Considerations — Should Be Given As Follows:
Adult dosage considerations
- 4 mg intravenously/intramuscular immediately before anesthesia or after the procedure or 16 mg orally 1 hour before anesthesia patients over 80 kg may need an additional 4 mg intravenously
Radiation-Induced Nausea and Vomiting
- Total body radiation therapy: 8 mg orally 1-2 hours before radiation therapy administered each day
- Single high-dose fraction therapy to the abdomen: 8 mg orally 1-2 hours before radiation therapy administer subsequent doses every 8 hours after first dose 1-2 days after completion of therapy
- Daily fractions to the abdomen: Administer 8 mg orally 1-2 hours before radiotherapy administer subsequent doses every 8 hr after first dose each day radiotherapy is given
- 8 mg divided every 12 hours or 8 mg every 8-12 hours orally for 7 days up to 5 months
- Alternatively, 4-8 mg intermittent short-term intravenous dosing is used in adults a single dose of 4 mg single dose used in pregnancy
- 8 mg divided every 12 hours or 8 mg every 8 to 12 hours orally for 14 days up to 5 months
Spinal Opioid-Induced Pruritus
- 4-8 mg intravenously 20-30 min before spinal opioid therapy may repeat dosing at 12, 24, 36, 48 hours after spinal opioid dosing
- 10 mg IV every 8 hours as needed
Medications That Can Harm The Kidneys
No matter what kind of medicine you take, whether OTC or prescription, it is destined to take a trip through your kidneys. Taking a drug the wrong way or in excessive amounts can damage these vital, bean-shaped organs and lead to serious complications. In the worst-case scenario, it could necessitate a kidney transplant.
Compared with 30 years ago, patients todayhave a higher incidence of diabetes and cardiovascular disease, take multiple medications, and are exposed to more diagnostic and therapeutic procedures with the potential to harm kidney function, according to Cynthia A. Naughton, PharmD, senior associate dean and associate professor in the department of pharmacy practice at North Dakota State University. All of these factors are associated with an elevated risk of kidney damage.
An estimated 20% of cases of acute kidney failure are due to medications. The technical term for this scenario is nephrotoxicity, which is growing more common as the aging population grows, along with rates of various diseases.
The kidneys get rid of waste and extra fluid in the body by filtering the blood to produce urine. They also keep electrolyte levels balanced and make hormones that influence blood pressure, bone strength and the production of red blood cells. When something interferes with the kidneys, they cant do their job, so these functions can slow down or stop altogether.
Read Also: What Laxative Is Safe For Kidneys
Patient Assistance & Co
Patients under the age of 65 years, or those with private insurance plans: If you have insurance and are looking for patient assistance or copay assistance for Ondansetron , we have provided links that may help.
Visit our Patient Assistance page and click the links to various patient assistance programs for help paying for Ondansetron . Depending upon your income, they may be able to help cover the cost of:
For Branded medications , check with the manufacturer to determine if a co-pay card is offered and if it could reduce your monthly copay.
- If you are uninsured, check with the manufacturer to determine if you are eligible to receive medication at no cost.
Medicare and Medicaid patients : The clinic providing treatment will likely pre-authorize medications and immune therapies such as Ondansetron and are the best source to help you understand drug cost.
- Ask to speak with a patient assistance technician or financial counselor at the clinic or hospital administering this therapy.
What Are Side Effects Associated With Using Ondansetron
Side effects of ondansetron include:
- elevated liver function test results
Other side effects of Ondansetron include:
- rare cases of hypersensitivity reactions, sometimes severe
- Transient blindness was reported to resolve within a few minutes up to 48 hr
- joint pain
This document does not contain all possible side effects and others may occur. Check with your physician for additional information about side effects.
Don’t Miss: Red Wine Kidney Stones
Rhabdomyolysis And Aki With Opioids
In the setting of non-medical opioid use with dehydration, immobility, and with decreased respiratory drive, there is a drop in MAP, renal blood flow, GFR, and hypoxia. In addition, frequently there may be other toxins involved as with polysubstance abuse.
Myocyte hypoxia and immobility result in muscle damage, starting with hypoxia and resultant ATP depletion leading to an increase in unregulated intracellular calcium and a cascade of destruction with further muscle damage, which results in lysosomal digestion of muscle. The muscle breakdown products and other intra-cellular components are released into the serum and these include myoglobin, phosphate, potassium and other markers like creatinine phosphokinase .
How Supplied/storage And Handling
- 4 mg , are white, oval, filmcoated tablets engraved with Zofran on one side and 4 on the other in bottles of 30 tablets .
- Store between 2°C and 30°C . Protect from light. Dispense in tight, light-resistant container as defined in the USP.
- 8 mg , are yellow, oval, filmcoated tablets engraved with Zofran on one side and 8 on the other in bottles of 30 tablets .
- Store between 2°C and 30°C . Dispense in tight container as defined in the USP.
Zofran ODT Orally Disintegrating Tablets
- 4 mg are white, round and planoconvex tablets debossed with a Z4 on one side in unit dose packs of 30 tablets .
- 8 mg are white, round and planoconvex tablets debossed with a Z8 on one side in unit dose packs of 30 tablets .
- Store between 2°C and 30°C .
Zofran Oral Solution
- a clear, colorless to light yellow liquid with a characteristic strawberry odor, contains 5 mg of ondansetron hydrochloride dihydrate equivalent to 4 mg of ondansetron per 5 mL in amber glass bottles of 50 mL with childresistant closures .
Store upright between 15°C and 30°C . Protect from light. Store bottles upright in cartons.
Read Also: Is Ginger Tea Good For Kidneys
Dosage Forms & Strengths
- < 4 years old: Safety and efficacy not established
- 4-12 years: 4 mg started 30 min before chemotherapy, then 4 and 8 hr after first dose, then q8hr for 1-2 days after chemotherapy
- > 12 years: 8 mg started 30 min before chemotherapy, then q12hr for 1-2 days after chemotherapy, or single dose of 24 mg
- < 6 months: Safety and efficacy not established
- 6 months: 0.15 mg/kg over 15 min administered 30 min before chemotherapy, then repeated 4 and 8 hr after first dose not to exceed 16 mg/dose
Zofran During Pregnancy Linked To Heart Defects Cleft Palate And Other Birth Defects
Nearly 80% of pregnant women experience nausea or vomiting, commonly referred to as morning sickness. Seeing an opportunity to profit, GlaxoSmithKline, the manufacturer of Zofran , illegally promoted the off-label usage of Zofran to pregnant women experiencing nausea, even though this use was never approved by the FDA and no studies have shown Zofran to be safe during pregnancy. Zofran has only been approved for use in chemotherapy and post-surgery patients who experience nausea. Zofrans manufacturer, GlaxoSmithKline , illegally marketed off-label use of Zofran and other drugs to the point that Zofran was included in GSKs $3 billion settlement with the United States Department of Justice for criminal fraud sales tactics.
Due to the prevalence of Zofran as an off-label agent used to control nausea and vomiting, researchers around the world began studying Zofran in numerous clinical studies in order to evaluate its risk of birth defects in infants born to women using Zofran during pregnancy. The results of these studies have concluded Zofran causes birth defects, particularly congenital heart defects, cleft palate defects, and kidney defects.
The birth defects linked to use of Zofran during pregnancy include:
Read Also: Can Kidney Stones Cause Constipation Or Diarrhea
S A Person On Nexium Can Take To Protect Themselves
A person taking Nexium should only do so under the advice of their doctor, even though it is an over-the-counter medication. It is critical for patients to consider whether taking Nexium is worth the risk as well as to be open to a physicians alternative options for relief. A medical professional may be able to offer several avenues for recovery from an adverse condition, so patients should learn more about other things that can fulfill their needs. However, one should not stop taking a drug, even an over-the-counter one, until they talk to their doctor, as suddenly ceasing medication can be dangerous and cause even more health problems.
If You Forget To Take Them
If you miss your dose and you do not feel sick take your next dose when you are meant to.
If you miss your dose, and you feel sick, take the missed dose as soon as possible, then go back to taking your Ondansetron ODT GH orally disintegrating tablet as you would normally. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the dose you missed and take your next dose when you are meant to.
Recommended Reading: Is Watermelon Good For Kidneys
What Form Does This Medication Come In
Each mL contains ondansetron 2 mg/mL for IV use. Nonmedicinal ingredients: citric acid monohydrate, methyl- and propylparaben , sodium citrate, and sodium chloride.
Each 5 mL contains ondansetron 4 mg . Nonmedicinal ingredients: citric acid, sodium citrate dihydrate, sodium benzoate, sorbitol solution, and strawberry flavour. Sucrose-free. Sweetened with sorbitol.
4 mg Each oval-shaped, yellow, film-coated tablet, engraved “4” on one side and “GLAXO” on the other, contains ondansetron 4 mg . Nonmedicinal ingredients: lactose, magnesium stearate, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, microcrystalline cellulose, opadry yellow or opaspray yellow , and pregelatinized starch. Gluten- and tartrazine-free.
8 mg Each oval-shaped, yellow, film-coated tablet, engraved “8” on one side and “GLAXO” on the other, contains ondansetron 8 mg . Nonmedicinal ingredients: lactose, magnesium stearate, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, microcrystalline cellulose, opadry yellow or opaspray yellow , and pregelatinized starch. Gluten- and tartrazine-free.
4 mgEach white, round, plano-convex, orally disintegrating tablet, with no markings on either side, contains ondansetron 4 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: aspartame, gelatin, mannitol, sodium methyl hydroxybenzoate, sodium propyl hydroxybenzoate, and strawberry flavour.
Interactions That Can Make Ondansetron Less Effective
Taking these drugs with ondansetron can make ondansetron less effective. This is because the amount of ondansetron in your body may be decreased. Examples of these drugs include:
- Anti-seizure drugs, such as phenytoin or carbamazepine. Your doctor may switch you from ondansetron to a different drug if needed.
- Tuberculosis drugs, such as rifampin, rifabutin, or rifapentine. Your doctor may switch you from ondansetron to a different drug if needed.
Disclaimer: Our goal is to provide you with the most relevant and current information. However, because drugs interact differently in each person, we cannot guarantee that this information includes all possible interactions. This information is not a substitute for medical advice. Always speak with your healthcare professional about possible interactions with all prescription drugs, vitamins, herbs and supplements, and over-the-counter drugs that you are taking.
This drug comes with several warnings.
Recommended Reading: Kidney Failure Symptoms In Men
Benicar Side Effects Caused Kidney Failure And Other Gastrointestinal Injury Lawsuit Alleges
Have A Potential Case Reviewed By An Attorney
According to allegations raised in a product liability lawsuits filed this week against Daiichi Sankyo and Forest Laboratories, side effects of Benicar caused a Mississippi woman to suffer severe gastrointestinal injuries, including chronic diarrhea, sprue-like enteropathy and kidney failure.
The complaint was filed by Loisteen Williams on December 7, in the federal multidistrict litigation established for all Benicar lawsuits pending throughout the federal court system, which allege that the makers of the popular hypertension drug failed to adequately warn about the risk of gastrointestinal problems.
Williams is a 53 year old resident of Brooksville, Mississippi, and indicates that she began taking Benicar for treatment of high blood pressure in 2007. As a result of the use of Benicar, Williams states that one of the serious gastrointestinal injuries she developed was kidney failure, which can develop from long-term diarrhea, malnutrition, dehydration and other symptoms of sprue-like enteropthy linked to Benicar side effects.
When the kidneys fail, they are unable to take the waste products out of your blood. This can cause dangerous levels of waste to build up in the blood and can be fatal. It can be reversible, but can also result in the need for regular dialysis treatments.
Is Zofran Safe During Pregnancy
Zofran is approved for nausea and vomiting in chemo patients and in those recovering from surgery only. Regarding Zofran during pregnancy and the potential side effects Zofran is classified as a Pregnancy Class B drug. This definition means that Zofran has no data and no studies available to prove it is safe.
You May Like: Pineapple Kidney Stones
Opioids Use Leading To Ckd
Opioid use may result in CKD due to repeated episodes of AKI, toxin exposure, or infection. Toxin exposure as noted in heroin-associated nephropathy and chronic infections as in secondary amyloidosis from skin popping, or result in a chronic infection due to the mode of drug use that then results in CKD due to hepatitis or HIV.
Frequently, multiple drugs or toxins may be used and clinical presentation may include multi-organ pathology, especially in the setting of a long-acting opioid. Autopsy data comparing methodone to heroin toxicity deaths revealed more pre-existing pathology with methodone including cardiac , pulmonary , hepatic , and renal disease . Further, methodone toxicity deaths included more polypharmacy with bendiazepine use , but with less alcohol use .