Can Medication Treat Uric Acid Stones
Your provider may prescribe medications to:
- Reduce uric acid levels in your blood and urine.
- Keep your urine alkaline .
- Dissolve the uric acid stones.
Alpha blockers are a type of medication that may help stones in the ureter pass faster. Your provider will talk to you about this option if its right for you.
Making It Easier To Pass The Stone
Alpha blockers are believed to make it easier for the stones to pass out of the body. They relax the muscles in the lower part of the bladder. Alpha blockers are medications used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia . They have not been approved for the treatment of kidney stones. But particularly the alpha blocker tamsulosin is sometimes used off-label.
According to current research, alpha blockers can help pass stones. An analysis of 67 studies showed this to be true for kidney stones that are about 5 to 10 millimeters in diameter.
- Without alpha blockers, the stones passed within four weeks in about 50 out of 100 people.
- With alpha blockers, the stones passed within four weeks in about 73 out of 100 people.
So the treatment helped 23 out of 100 people to pass the stone.
Temporary side effects of alpha blockers include low blood pressure, dizziness, and tiredness. In one large study, 4 out of 100 people stopped their treatment early due to such side effects. In 5 out of 100 men, the drugs also temporarily caused retrograde ejaculation . This is where no semen, or much less than usual, leaves the penis. Instead, the semen flows into the bladder.
How Long Does It Take A Kidney Stone To Form
You can have kidney stones for years without knowing theyre there. As long as these stones stay in place within your kidney, you wont feel anything. Pain from a kidney stone typically starts when it moves out of your kidney. Sometimes, a stone can form more quickly within a few months.
Talk with your healthcare provider about your risk factors. They might do a 24-hour urine test to check how quickly you develop stones.
Dont Miss: Kidney Apple Cider Vinegar
You May Like: Does Sugar Cause Kidney Stones
How Can I Prevent Kidney Stones
There are several ways to decrease your risk of kidney stones, including:
- Drink water. Drink at least six to eight 8-ounce glasses every day . Staying hydrated helps you urinate more often, which helps flush away the buildup of the substances that cause kidney stones. If you sweat a lot, be sure to drink even more.
- Limit salt. Eat less sodium. You may want to connect with a dietician for help with planning what foods you eat.
- Lose weight. If youre overweight, try to lose some pounds. Talk to your healthcare provider about an ideal weight.
- Take prescriptions. Your healthcare provider may prescribe some medications that help prevent kidney stones. The type of medication may depend on the type of stones you get.
How Much Water Should I Drink With Kidney Stones
The best home remedy to encourage the stone to pass is to drink lots of fluids, especially plain water and citrus juices such as orange or grapefruit. The extra fluid causes you urinate more, which helps the stone move and keeps it from growing. You should aim for at least 2 to 3 quarts of water per day.
Recommended Reading: Can Xanax Cause Kidney Damage
Causes Of Kidney Stones
A kidney stone can form when substances such as calcium, oxalate, cystine or uric acid are at high levels in the urine, although stones can form even if these chemicals are at normal levels.
Medications used for treating some medical conditions such as kidney disease, cancer or HIV can also increase your risk of developing kidney stones.
A small number of people get kidney stones because of certain medical conditions that lead to high levels of calcium, oxalate, cystine or uric acid in the body.
Kidney Stones Dissolve In Vivo
Results from the current study modify the long-held working assumption that COM is strongly insoluble in vivo,,, except perhaps within some individual cell organelles . In addition, although the entombment of organic matter has been previously documented,, the clinical importance of these biomass-rich nano-layers remains undetermined. Our results indicate that kidney stones repeatedly dissolve in vivo and highlight the intrinsic relationship between organic-rich and mineral-rich nano-layering.
The repeated dissolution, crystallization and resultant remodeling of crystalline architecture that takes place during CaOx stone growth is analogous to the commonly observed post-depositional physical, chemical and biological alteration observed in natural mineral deposits . The sector zoning in COMCE indicates that these crystals may be more soluble and thus more susceptible to diagenesis than expected with respect to calculated urine supersaturation states, as controlled by the differential entrapment of organic matter on specific COM crystal faces,. The biomolecules present within the human kidney may also play a major role in driving the multiple events of dissolution as recorded in the HSE . These are normal constituents of urine chemical composition, and could plausibly include biomolecules derived from a resident microbial community . However, the composition and potential effects of these biomolecules are currently unknown.
You May Like: Ginger Tea For Kidneys
Also Check: What To Do For Chronic Kidney Disease
How Else Can I Prevent Uric Acid Stones
You can take other steps to prevent uric acid stones:
- Drink at least 12 cups of fluids every day, preferably water.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Follow the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension diet, which can reduce both high blood pressure and the risk of kidney stones.
- Take any medications your provider prescribed to prevent uric acid stones from forming.
Is Milk Good For Kidney Stones
Yes. Calcium-rich foods such as milk, yogurt, and some cheese and oxalate-rich foods are beneficial for preventing kidney stones. This is because oxalate and calcium from the foods are more likely to bind to one another in the stomach and intestines before entering the kidneys, make it less likely that kidney stones will form.
Read Also: Stds That Cause Kidney Pain
Also Check: How Long Can You Live With Total Kidney Failure
Symptoms Of Kidney Stones
Many people with kidney stones have no symptoms. However, some people do get symptoms, which may include:
- a gripping pain in the back usually just below the ribs on one side, radiating around to the front and sometimes towards the groin. The pain may be severe enough to cause nausea and vomiting
- blood in the urine
- cloudy or bad smelling urine
- shivers, sweating and fever if the urine becomes infected
- small stones, like gravel, passing out in the urine, often caused by uric acid stones
- an urgent feeling of needing to urinate, due to a stone at the bladder outlet.
Will I Need Surgery For Uric Acid Stones
You may need surgery if the stones:
- Are very large.
- Do not pass after four to six weeks.
Treatment options include minimally invasive or noninvasive techniques:
- Shockwave lithotripsy: This noninvasive procedure uses high-energy sound waves to break up the stones. Shockwave lithotripsy does not use an incision and nothing enters your body.
- Ureteroscopy: During a ureteroscopy, your provider inserts an endoscope through the ureter, the tube that leads from each kidney to the bladder. The provider removes the stone using a tiny basket. In some cases, the provider can break the stone into smaller pieces using a laser, and then remove the pieces.
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy : Providers use PCNL for larger stones. A surgeon makes a small incision in your back to access the kidney. They either remove the stone or break it up first and then remove it.
Your provider will send the stone or pieces of the stone to a lab for analysis.
Don’t Miss: How Many Carbs In Kidney Beans
Where Does A Kidney Stone Go In A Cat
Nephrolithiasis in Cats. The tubes of the nephron drain into ducts through which urine flows these ducts eventually enter the renal pelvis and a tube through which urine follows into the ureter. Kidney stones or kidney stone fragments can also pass through this system of tubes and into the ureter, causing serious complications.
Ureteral Stones. Ureteral stones are kidney stones that are stuck within one of the two ureters leading from the kidney to the bladder.
Let Kidney Stones Pass
Stones typically take several weeks to a few months to pass, depending on the number of stones and their size. Over-the-counter pain medications, like ibuprofen , acetaminophen , or naproxen , can help you endure the discomfort until the stones pass. Your doctor also may prescribe an alpha blocker, which relaxes the muscles in your ureter and helps pass stones quicker and with less pain.
If the pain becomes too severe, or if they are too large to pass, they can be surgically removed with a procedure called a ureteroscopy. Here, a small endoscope is passed into the bladder and up the ureter while you are under general anesthesia. A laser breaks up the stones, and then the fragments are removed.
Dont Miss: Does Pop Cause Kidney Stones
Simple Home Remedies To Treat Kidney Stones
Kidney stones are hard deposits that can be found anywhere in the urinary system-from the urinary bladder to the kidneys. They can be formed due to many factors, but genetic susceptibility and the number of fluids you drink has a direct effect on the odds of having kidney stones.
While they can be treated with oral medications in most cases, one can tweak certain habits and change ones diet to attempt to address the issue of kidney stones naturally. Here are some home remedies for curing kidney stones.
Measuring The Kidney Stone Size
To successfully pass a kidney stone through your system, it is essential to have a gauge of size to know if exterior intervention is necessary.
Typically, any stone 4 millimeters or less in length will pass on its own within 31 days. Between 4 mm and 6 mm, only 60 percent will pass without medical intervention, and on average take 45 days to exit your body naturally. Anything bigger than 6 mm will almost always need medical care to help remove the stone. If passed without care of a urologist, the severe pain can last upwards of a year.
You May Like: Can You See Kidney Stones When You Pass Them
Don’t Miss: How Many Kidney Stones Can You Have At One Time
Home Remedies For Kidney Stones
Basil Leaves Good for Kidney Health:
Basil leaves are good for the overall health of kidneys. Mix 1 teaspoon of juice from basil leaves with 1 teaspoon of honey and have it daily in the morning. You can also chew two to three basil leaves in order to remove the stones from the urinary tract.
Watermelon Juice Helps Flush Out Kidney Stones
The water and potassium content present in watermelon are essential nutrients for a healthy kidney. It helps in regulating and maintaining the level of acid present in the urine. Eating watermelon or drinking its juice every day will help in flushing out stones from the kidney.
Figs for Dissolving Kidney Stones
Boil two figs in a cup of water and drink it on an empty stomach early in the morning.
Celery Can Prevent Kidney Stone Formation
Regular intake of celery helps in clearing the toxins that cause the formation of stones in the kidney.
Tomato Juice Helps Dissolve Mineral Salt Deposits
Drink a glass of tomato juice with a pinch of salt and pepper every morning. This helps dissolve the mineral salt deposits in the kidney.
Whole Wheat Bread Helps Lower Risk of Kidney Stones
Whole wheat bread is a rich source of fiber, nutrients and proteins along with magnesium. Having two to three slices of whole wheat bread daily will help a lot in lowering the risk of kidney stone.
Kidney Beans – Natural Remedy for Kidney Stones:
Drinking Water Helps Prevent Kidney Stones
Citric Fruit Juices – Kidney Cleansing Drink
Kidney friendly Diet
What Dissolves Kidney Stones Fast
- Posted on
- In Blog
Youre suddenly in an excruciating pain. You have a sharp, cramping pain in your back and side that comes in waves. And the overwhelming feeling moves to your lower abdomen or groin, and hurts badly.
Well, you probably have kidney stones. And you need to give it a quick fix. You can do that without medical intervention, especially if you can find something that will dissolve the stones fast.
Don’t Miss: Why Do Kids Get Kidney Stones
How To Remove Kidney Stones Naturally 8 Ways To Cleanse Your Kidneys
- Sarika Rana
- Kidneys make one of the most essential organs of the human body
- Kidney stones may be small or big depending on how grave is the situation
- Remember, kidney stones are a recurring problem
Causes of Kidney Stones
The general causes of kidney stones may include lack of water in the body, production of excessive acidic environment in urine, urinary tract infections, etc. It is curable easily if diagnosed at an early stage.
Symptoms of Kidney Stones
There can be more than one symptom for kidney stones, which include,
- Excessive pain in the abdomen, lower back or urinary tract. The pain can vary from excruciating, sharp or mild depending on the severity.
- Persistent urge to urinate, or even blood in urine.
- Feeling nauseated or severe vomiting
- Constant sweating or chills
The symptoms may vary on the basis of severity. There can be a constant discomfort and pain on the sides, which could further spread down to other parts of the body.
Note: These symptoms may vary from person to person. It is not necessary to witness all these symptoms altogether.
Natural Remedies to Remove Kidney Stones
1. Kidney Beans
Kidney beans that have a close resemblance to that of a kidney, is known to remove kidney stones effectively and cleanse the kidneys. Kidney beans are high on fiber and are a great source of minerals and B vitamins that help in cleaning your kidneys and help the urinary tract function better.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
3. Pomegranate Juice
4. Dandelion Roots
What Causes Uric Acid Stones
Uric acid stones form when:
- Levels of uric acid in the urine are too high.
- The urine is continually too acidic.
The main causes of high acidity in urine are:
- Problems processing uric acid or protein in your diet: These problems are often inherited, passed down from parents to children. When your body has trouble processing uric acid or protein, acid builds up in the urine. A related condition is gout, where people have high uric acid levels in the blood and painful crystal deposits in the joints.
- Foods high in purines: Animal proteins, such as beef, poultry, pork, eggs and fish contain high levels of purines. Organ meats, such as liver and kidneys, have the highest levels. If you eat a lot of animal proteins, uric acid may build up in your urine. It can settle and form a stone, either by itself or with calcium. Usually, diet alone wont cause uric acid stones they often occur in someone who has a high-purine diet and is prone to developing them.
Other causes of high levels of uric acid include:
- Carrying excess weight and having diabetes: These conditions can increase acidity levels in the urine.
- Certain medications and supplements: Taking diuretics or immune-suppressing medications can increase your uric acid level.
- Chemotherapy: People undergoing chemotherapy are prone to higher levels of uric acid.
Don’t Miss: Is Apple Cider Bad For Kidneys
How Are Kidney Stones Diagnosed
Your healthcare provider will discuss your medical history and possibly order some tests. These tests include:
- Imaging tests: An X-ray, CT scan and ultrasound will help your healthcare provider see the size, shape, location and number of your kidney stones. These tests help your provider decide what treatment you need.
- Blood test: A blood test will reveal how well your kidneys are functioning, check for infection and look for biochemical problems that may lead to kidney stones.
- Urine test: This test also looks for signs of infection and examines the levels of the substances that form kidney stones.
Read Also: Is Watermelon Good For Kidneys
How To Dissolve Uric Acid Kidney Stones
Good news! You can dissolve uric acid kidney stones fast.
Many uric acid kidney stones can be dissolved by a medication called potassium citrate. The goal of this therapy is to reduce urine acid levels . For most people, a urine pH of at least 6.0 is the goal to dissolve uric acid kidney stones.
Your doctor may even ask you to to test your urine pH at home using basic pH testing strips*. There are also fancier options* that also measure urine ketones, glucose, protein and a number of other things. Testing your urine pH can help make sure your medication is working to lower urine acid.
How Fast Can you Dissolve Uric Acid Kidney Stones?
The time it takes to dissolve uric acid kidney stones depends on the size and composition of your kidney stone, and urine pH.
One study found the average time to dissolve uric acid kidney stones was 3 months. Another study found it took 6 weeks for uric acid kidney stones to dissolve. Either way, this timeframe is a relatively fast way to dissolve kidney stones!
Natural Remedies to Dissolve Uric Acid Kidney Stones Fast
If you prefer to avoid medication, there are ways to reduce urine acid and help dissolve uric acid kidney stones naturally.
Here are some things you can do to help dissolve uric acid kidney stones:
Recommended Reading: Where Do Kidney Stones Come Out