How To Dissolve Kidney Stones Simple & Painless Way To Pass Stones In Your Kidneys
There are various causes for kidney stone formation. These include dehydration and excessive acid in the urine, urinary tract infections, among others. Now, depending on the cause and the kind of stone, your doctor will prescribe the best treatment.
However, if you have small-sized stones, the natural cures are deemed to be effective for passing them through your body. Conversely, if the kidney stones are very large to pass through your kidneys, you require extensive treatment to get rid of them.
Also, kidneys stones are of various types. As part of this list, calcium phosphate stones, calcium oxalate, cystine stones, uric acid stones, and struvite stones are included.
Radish Juice For Kidney Stones
How to pass kidney stones quickly with radish juice? Radish juice is the best know as a diuretic and helps to clean the bladder and kidneys. It contains fibre, vitamins, folic acid, potassium, calcium and volatile oils.
Radish juice improves digestion and urination. Also, it works as an anti-inflammatory agent to reduce swelling.
Take Steps To Bypass Kidney Stones
Even though kidney stones can be common and recur once youve had them, there are simple ways to help prevent them. Here are some strategies that can help:
1. Drink enough water. A 2015 meta-analysis from the National Kidney Foundation found that people who produced 2 to 2.5 liters of urine daily were 50% less likely to develop kidney stones than those who produced less. It takes about 8 to 10 8-ounce glasses of water daily to produce that amount.
2. Skip high-oxalate foods. Such foods, which include spinach, beets, and almonds, obviously raise oxalate levels in the body. However, moderate amounts of low-oxalate foods, such as chocolate and berries, are okay.
3. Enjoy some lemons. Citrate, a salt in citric acid, binds to calcium and helps block stone formation. “Studies have shown that drinking ½ cup of lemon juice concentrate diluted in water each day, or the juice of two lemons, can increase urine citrate and likely reduce kidney stone risk,” says Dr. Eisner.
4. Watch the sodium. A high-sodium diet can trigger kidney stones because it increases the amount of calcium in your urine. Federal guidelines suggest limiting total daily sodium intake to 2,300 milligrams . If sodium has contributed to kidney stones in the past, try to reduce your daily sodium to 1,500 mg.
Read Also: Are Grapes Good For Kidney Stones
Apple Cider Vinegar For Kidney Stones
How to dissolve kidney stones with apple cider vinegar? Apple Cider Vinegar is rich in acetic acid that works to soften and dissolve kidney stone.
So if you include it as a drink before your meal, you will be able to get rid of kidney stone. This is the possible best home remedy to remove the kidney stone.
- Take-Two Table Spoon Of Apple cider vinegar and mix it with one glass of water.
- Drink this liquid mixture at least twice a day before the meal to prevent kidney stones as well as to dissolve it.
- Never take apple cider vinegar in concentrated form, always dilute it with water.
Lemon Juice For Kidney Stones
How to dissolve kidney stones with lemon juice? Lemon juice is highly acidic as it contains citric acid.
The presence of citrate helps to prevent calcium stone deposition in the kidney, and it also breaks the small stones so that they can carry away through urine.
Take lemon juice with water for several days to get the best results.
Don’t Miss: Is Pomegranate Juice Good For Your Kidneys
How Can I Tell If I Have A Kidney Stone
Routine screening for kidney stones common but not recommended for all people.
Kidney stones can be detected using imaging such as X-rays, ultrasound, CT scan, or MRI. The best imaging currently available for kidney stone detection is a CT scan.
If you have crystals in your urine, that does not mean that you have a kidney stone. Crystals in the urine are common. If you have crystals in your urine along with other symptoms of kidney stones, you should see a doctor for an exam and imaging.
Symptoms Of Kidney Stones
Many people with kidney stones have no symptoms. However, some people do get symptoms, which may include:
- a gripping pain in the back usually just below the ribs on one side, radiating around to the front and sometimes towards the groin. The pain may be severe enough to cause nausea and vomiting
- blood in the urine
- cloudy or bad smelling urine
- shivers, sweating and fever if the urine becomes infected
- small stones, like gravel, passing out in the urine, often caused by uric acid stones
- an urgent feeling of needing to urinate, due to a stone at the bladder outlet.
Don’t Miss: Can Mio Cause Kidney Stones
Whats The Urinary Tract How Does It Work
Your urinary tract is vital to your body because it gets rid of waste and extra fluid. Its made up of both your kidneys, two ureters, your bladder and your urethra. Each organ has an important job :
- Kidneys: Your fist-sized, bean-shaped kidneys are located on either side of your spine, below your rib cage. Each day they filter 120 to 150 quarts of your blood to remove waste and balance fluids. Your kidneys make one to two quarts of urine every day.
- Ureters: After your kidney creates urine, the liquid travels through the tube-shaped ureter to the bladder. There is one ureter per kidney. Kidney stones can pass through the ureters or, if theyre too big, get stuck in them. You may require surgery if the stone is too large.
- Bladder: Between your hip bones is your bladder, an organ that stores urine. It stretches to hold about one and a half to two cups.
- Urethra: Like a ureter, your urethra is a tube through which urine passes. Its the final stop of the urinary tract where your urine leaves your body. This is called urination.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Kidney Stones
Apple cider vinegar can be consumed in many ways to get rid of kidney stones. It will also provide you other health benefits. To treat kidney stones you can mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and mix in a glass of water. Do not over consume this mixture. You can also use apple cider vinegar as a salad dressing as well.
Dr. Anil Kumar Varshney describes another way of using apple cider vinegar and describes, “Take two tablespoons of olive oil, one-two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and two tablespoons of lemon juice. This concoction increases lubrication and helps pass the stones easily.” Along with this also drink plenty of water throughout the day and choose healthy diet.
Apple cider vinegar can help you deal with kidney stones naturally. But you should not completely rely on home remedies to treat kidney stones. Before trying any home remedy you must consult your doctor. Proper treatment is extremely necessary to fight kidney stones.
Dr. Anil Kumar Varshney Senior Director- Urology, Max Super Speciality Hospital, Saket)
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
Recommended Reading: How Long For Flomax To Work For Kidney Stones
Ways To Naturally Dissolve Kidney Stones
Kidney stones, also known as nephrolithiasis or renal lithiasis, are residual hard deposits of salts and minerals, which form inside your kidneys. There are several causes for kidney stones and it can affect any part of the urinary tract, right from the kidneys to the bladder. Many times when the urine gets concentrated stones are formed which then allows minerals to stick with each other due to crystallization.
Passing kidney stones is a painful activity however, the stones do not lead to serious permanent damage, if they are identified in early stages. Depending on the situation of the person, one might only be required to drink lots of water and take some medication for the pain to pass on the kidney stone. However, in complex cases where the stones get lodged somewhere in the urinary tract, it can lead to complications or even a urinary infection. In certain cases, surgery might be required to fix the condition. Your doctor will also tell you about some preventive methods to reduce the risk of developing them again. Let us look at a few methods using which you can dissolve kidney stones.
Water One of the easiest ways to treat or prevent kidney stones is by drinking lots of water. Most of the health experts recommend drinking 8 glasses of water/day or 64 ounces of water/day. People suffering from kidney stones should consider drinking around 12 glasses of water/day to ease out the passage or slow the growth rate of the deposits in the kidney.
What Questions Should I Ask My Healthcare Provider
- Do I have a kidney stone or is there another reason for my symptoms?
- What type of kidney stone do I have?
- What size is my kidney stone?
- Where is my kidney stone located?
- How many kidney stones do I have?
- Do I need treatment or will I be able to pass the kidney stone?
- Should I be tested for kidney disease?
- What changes should I make to my diet?
- What type of procedure should I have to get rid of the stones?
A note from Cleveland Clinic
Kidney stones can be frustrating at best and agonizingly painful at the worst. To stop your situation from getting worse, you should be evaluated by a healthcare provider as soon as possible. The pain can get severe, and surgery might be necessary. Remember: dont skip your prescriptions, drink lots of water and follow any dietary guidelines. Also, remember that kidney stones are a temporary condition. They wont bother you forever.
Last reviewed by a Cleveland Clinic medical professional on 05/03/2021.
You May Like: Can Seltzer Water Cause Kidney Stones
Try Apple Cider Vinegar
Being rich in citric acid, apple cider vinegar can help in the break down of kidney stones. It can also potentially dissolve the stones in tiny particles easing their removal through the urethra.
Alternate Remedies For Kidney Stones
Increasingly, more people are interested in attempting at-home treatments for kidney stones to decrease the use of medicines, procedures and surgeries. A number of alternative remedies have been acknowledged for the treatment of kidney stones. We will present these below and discuss their likelihood of success.
1. Lemon Juice and Olive Oil
Sounds awful, doesnt it? Some people do claim success in mixing a concoction of lemon juice and olive oil to help dissolve kidney stones as a home remedy. Proponents of this method claim that at the first notice of symptoms, mix five ounces of olive oil with five ounces of lemon juice. Drink this combination straight and then drink a glass of water. Repeat the process again in the late afternoon. Be sure to drink plenty of water as well through the day as well as extra lemon juice, if possible. Continue this treatment regimen for several days until the stone passes. It is thought that the lemon juice could help break down the kidney stones and the olive oil would aid in lubrication to pass the stone more easily. Extra-virgin olive oil is thought to be the best olive oil ingredient to use because it is the thickest and healthiest.
Warning: Lemons are very acidic and can destroy tooth enamel and contribute to heartburn or ulcers.
Our patient surveying indicates some success in a very limited number of kidney stone patients. We give it 2 out of 5 stars.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
3. Coke and Asparagus
We give this remedy 1 out of 5 stars.
Also Check: Do Multivitamins Cause Kidney Stones
Diet And Kidney Stones
But lemonade alone isn’t the answer to kidney stones. It’s only part of a stone-preventing diet.
“First, you should reduce the amount of salt in the diet,” Stoller says. “Get rid of the salt shaker at the table. Use a potassium-based salt substitute. If you have a choice of two products, go to the one with less salt. Eat out less — restaurant food is salty — and never salt your food before tasting it.”
Second on Stoller’s stone-prevention diet is eating smaller portions of meat and fish at each meal.
“We are not saying to eat less meat, just eat less at individual meals,” he says.
Third, increase fluid intake to where one is passing 1.5 to 2 liters of urine each day.
“Where does lemonade fit in? If you drink and enjoy lemonade, it gives you an additional benefit,” Stoller says.
Ultrasound Shock Wave Therapy
In ultrasound shock wave therapy, sound waves are used to break up the stones. The stone fragments are then flushed away in the urine. This treatment is also referred to as extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy . A machine is used to send sound waves from outside of the body through the tissue to the stones. Shock wave therapy typically takes about 30 to 60 minutes when treating simple kidney stones . It can often be done without having to spend the night in hospital. The treatment outcome can be checked using ultrasound or x-ray scans.
Shock wave therapy is especially suitable for kidney stones that are smaller than 20 millimeters in diameter. If the stones are in the upper third of the ureter, they shouldnt be any bigger than 10 millimeters, though.
During shock wave therapy
You May Like: Is Red Wine Bad For Kidney Stones
Calcium Is Not The Enemy
But it tends to get a bad rap! Most likely due to its name and composition, many are under the impression that calcium is the main culprit in calcium-oxalate stones. “I still see patients who wonder why they are getting recurring stones despite cutting down on their calcium intake,” said Dr. Jhagroo. “I’ve even had patients say that their doctors told them to reduce their calcium intake.” A diet low in calcium actually increases one’s risk of developing kidney stones.
Don’t reduce the calcium. Work to cut back on the sodium in your diet and to pair calcium-rich foods with oxalate-rich foods.
Banana Stem Juice For Kidney Stones
Is Banana Stem Juice Effective For Kidney Stones? Yes, It is a perfect home remedy to remove kidney stone for the people who want to avoid chemical medicines.
The raw banana stem is full of potassium and vitamin b6. When it gets combined with lemon juice, a chemical compound, called potassium citrate is formed, which is helpful to dissolve kidney stones and prevent calcium stone formation.
Also Check: Does Red Wine Cause Kidney Stones
Diet And Uric Acid Stones
Avoid these foods if you have uric acid stones:
- Organ meats
Other suggestions for your diet include:
- Do not eat more than 3 ounces of meat at each meal.
- Avoid fatty foods such as salad dressings, ice cream, and fried foods.
- Eat enough carbohydrates.
- Eat more lemons and oranges, and drink lemonade because the citrate in these foods stops stones from forming.
- Drink plenty of fluids, particularly water.
If you are losing weight, lose it slowly. Quick weight loss may cause uric acid stones to form.
How To Dissolve Kidney Stones
Kidney stones, though originating in the kidneys, can move anywhere in the urinary tract. A kidney stone obstructing the urinary tract causes immense pain and discomfort to the person. It is not an untreatable condition, it is very much possible to get rid of the kidney stones. There are ways to dissolve kidney stones so that you can be free of the dreadful episodes of sudden pain.
Home remedies and medicines, both options are available for a patient to dissolve kidney stones. Lets first get to know about the home remedies that proactively help in dissolving kidney stones.
You May Like: Is Pomegranate Juice Good For Your Kidneys
How Can I Prevent Kidney Stones
There are several ways to decrease your risk of kidney stones, including:
- Drink water. Drink at least six to eight 8-ounce glasses every day . Staying hydrated helps you urinate more often, which helps flush away the buildup of the substances that cause kidney stones. If you sweat a lot, be sure to drink even more.
- Limit salt. Eat less sodium. You may want to connect with a dietician for help with planning what foods you eat.
- Lose weight. If youre overweight, try to lose some pounds. Talk to your healthcare provider about an ideal weight.
- Take prescriptions. Your healthcare provider may prescribe some medications that help prevent kidney stones. The type of medication may depend on the type of stones you get.
Look Into Juices And Teas
Some plant-based remedies are noted for their beneficial effect on your kidney health. Which teas and juices should you drink if you have kidney stone problems?
Palo Azul Tree Bark Tea
Palo Azul has natural diuretic properties, making it easier for you to urinate often. This will help to prevent the formation of kidney stones as well as pass already formed ones.
Additionally, Palo Azul has a beneficial effect on insulin resistance. This means it can lower your chances of developing diabetes. As previously mentioned, people with diabetes are more prone to have kidney stones and other kidney problems.
This tea is also rich in isoflavones. These plant-based compounds are good for preventing calcium oxalate buildup. They are also good for your bone health.
Basil Tea or Juice
Basil is a popular herb appeared in many recipes. It has antibacterial properties, and it can reduce inflammation.
But its also beneficial for the health of your kidneys. Consuming basil juice will lower your uric acid levels, reducing your risk of forming kidney stones.
Since basil juice is rich in acetic acid too, it helps dissolve kidney stones and alleviate the pain.
So how do you make basil tea? You can simply boil this herb and drink it. Adding basil to your smoothies is another option.
Dandelion Root Juice
You can get dandelion roots in health stores. But why is dandelion root juice good for kidney stone treatment and prevention?
An Important Health Concern
Don’t Miss: Celery Juice For Kidneys