Parsley: Overview Uses Side Effects Precautions Interactions
Al Howiriny, T., Al Sohaibani, M., El Tahir, K., and Rafatullah, S. Prevention of experimentally-induced gastric ulcers in rats by an ethanolic extract of âParsleyâ Petroselinum crispum.Beier, R. C.
Natural pesticides and bioactive components in foods.Effects of parsley on the liver of diabetic rats: a morphological and biochemical study.Chaudhary, S. K., Ceska, O., Tetu, C., Warrington, P. J., Ashwood-Smith, M.
J., and Poulton, G. A. Oxypeucedanin, a Major Furocoumarin in Parsley, Petroselinum crispum.Chrubasik, S., Droste, C., and Black, A.
Asparagus P cannot compete with first-line diuretics in lowering the blood pressure in treatment-requiring antihypertensives.Effectiveness and tolerability of the herbal mixture Asparagus P on blood pressure in treatment-requiring antihypertensives.Gadi, D., Bnouham, M., Aziz, M., Ziyyat, A., Legssyer, A., Legrand, C., Lafeve, F. F., and Mekhfi, H. Parsley extract inhibits in vitro and ex vivo platelet aggregation and prolongs bleeding time in rats.Gorgus, E., Lohr, C., Raquet, N., Guth, S., and Schrenk, D.
Limettin and furocoumarins in beverages containing citrus juices or extracts.Meyer, H., Bolarinwa, A., Wolfram, G., and Linseisen, J. Bioavailability of apigenin from apiin-rich parsley in humans.Ozsoy-Sacan, O., Yanardag, R., Orak, H., Ozgey, Y., Yarat, A., and Tunali, T.
Effects of parsley extract versus glibornuride on the liver of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.Peterson, S., Lampe, J. W., Bammler, T.
Does Drinking Parsley Water Cleanse Kidneys
Considering this, is Parsley water good for kidneys?
May Aid Kidney HealthParsley has also been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties due to its antioxidants, including flavonoids, carotenoids, and vitamin C. Additionally, parsley may help keep your kidneys healthy by reducing high blood pressure, a major risk factor for kidney disease.
Subsequently, question is, what is the best drink to flush your kidneys? Along with the water-vinegar mixture, doctors recommend drinking between one and two cups of pure cranberry juice . Tannin, the active ingredient in cranberries, helps your kidneys flush out bacteria and toxins.
Herein, how do I use parsley to cleanse my kidneys?
Add the dried or fresh parsley to the bottom of your cup and pour water over it, allowing it to steep for 510 minutes. Finally, use a mesh strainer to remove and discard the parsley leaves before enjoying your hot drink. Parsley tea can be consumed as is or flavored with a bit of honey, lemon juice, or sugar.
How do I detox my kidneys?
From your morning glass of water to that extra cup of herbal tea, here are four ways to cleanse your kidneys and keep them functioning strong.
Parsley Lemon Cucumber And Watermelon
Lemon juice works as an excellent cleanser for the kidneys, helping to dissolve unwanted mineral deposits that lead to calcium oxalate stones. It also plays a role in delaying the oxidation of other juices when used in combination with them.
Cucumber acts as a diuretic and flushes out the accumulated uric acid from the body, dissolving kidney stones.
Watermelon juice and its seeds are rich in anti-oxidant , magnesium and zinc that have a powerful detoxing effect on the kidneys, helping to improve their function by preventing the formation of stones altogether.
- In a blender, add Â½ an ounce of organic parsley, the juice of 2 lemons, 1 chopped cucumber and Â¼ of a watermelon.
- Blend till the parsley leaves turn into a thick paste.
- Drink the resulting smoothie 2-3 times a week.
- Remove the seeds of the lemons while squeezing their juice into the blender.
- Peel the cucumber before chopping it and adding it to the blender.
- However, leave in the watermelon seeds and allow them to blend into tiny pieces with the rest of the smoothie.
- Drink the mixture immediately after preparing it, since the blended watermelon doesnt keep fresh for long after blending.
Also Check: Is Advil Toxic To Kidneys
Parsley For Promoting Healthy Kidneys And Digestion
Have you ever been served a meal with a sprig of parsley on the plate as a garnish? It used to be a common practice, although you dont see it as much these days. If you do see parsley on your plate, though, I hope you eat it. Parsley is more than just a fancy garnish, its also a wonderful medicinal herb for digestive and urinary health.
Parsley is both stimulating and nourishing to the kidneys. It contains a volatile oil that is excreted through the kidneys, thus stimulating urination. But its not as irritating as juniper and other stronger diuretics and also has a high content of natural potassium and sodium, mineral electrolytes that help regulate fluid balance and kidney function. Parsley can be helpful for edema, nephritis, cystitis, burning, scalding, or otherwise painful urination, and scant urination. Years ago, an Australian naturopath told me that if we ate a sprig of parsley every day, wed never have kidney problems.
Assessment Of Diuretic Activity Of Parsley And Its Effect On Urinary Ph
Additional six rats were used to determine the effect of parsley on urine volume and pH.
Assessment of urine volume
The six rates were adopted for 7 days, housed individually in cages and allowed free access to food and drinking water. Then urine was collected over a 24 hrs and urine volume was measured. After this period, the same rats toke ethanolic extract of parsley for another seven days through which urine collected every 24 hrs and its volume was measured. Thus every animal served as control and treated animal in the same time.
Assessment of urine pH
The fresh urine samples from the six rats was measured using standard pH paper . We measured urinary pH in the morning and the afternoon for each rat to know the effect of parsley on urine pH.
Also Check: How To Help Low Kidney Function
Pros Of Parsley 1st Part:
- It provides protection against cancer disease. According to a study conducted in Minnesota, it is stated that the compound named myristicin provides protection against cancer. It provides protection especially against skin cancer.
- Improve your immune function . Parsley can help change the immune system. It has been found that parsley essential oil suppresses an overstimulated immune response and plays a key role in the fight against allergies, autoimmune and chronic inflammatory disorders.
- Removes inflammation. Parsley helps reduce pain and swelling associated with arthritis. Parsley contains a volatile oil called eugenol and has been shown in scientific studies to have potent anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic properties and significantly reduce swelling in the joint.
- Rich antioxidant source. Contains several flavonoid antioxidants such as parsley, luteolin, apigenin, lycopene, beta-carotene and alpha-carotene. They protect cells from free radical damage, which is responsible for many chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular problems, cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, and eye disorders.
- The benefits of parsley to digestion. Eating a pinch of fresh parsley after a heavy meal will ease digestion and reduce bloating. People use it for a number of gastrointestinal problems such as gas, constipation, indigestion, and nausea. In Ayurvedic applications, using parsley oil in the bath, massage of the abdomen is provided with relief for stomach problems.
Prevent Cancer And Chronic Illnesses
Parsley is rich in antioxidants, flavonoids, and carotenoids, compounds that help to combat cellular damage caused by free radicals as well as oxidative stress. These processes are associated with the development of cancer and other chronic illnesses.
Flavonoids are related to a lowered risk of colon cancer and obesity. Caroteinoids, like lutein, can inhibit cancer cell growth in breast cancer. Vitamin C, also found in parsley, can decreased the risk for prostate cancer.
Are Parsley And Coriander Good For The Kidneys
Yes, parsley and coriander are very good for the kidneys. The antioxidant and detoxifying properties of parsley and cilantro help flush toxins from your kidneys. Both these herbs are known for their natural detoxifying and kidney cleansing properties.
Parsley is also a great source of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, and iron, which are important for kidney health. Consuming parsley and coriander juice also significantly reduces the occurrence of kidney disease and the formation of kidney stones.
Improves Blood Sugar Control
Parsley can also be used as a natural remedy for blood sugar levels. Additionally, parsley has exhibited a number of antidiabetic properties and the ability to support steadier blood sugar control.
A study by PubMed Central found that diabetic rats who were treated with parsley exhibited improved liver health as well as lower blood sugar levels.
Granted, it should be mentioned that more human trials and research are needed.
Also Check: Can Kidney Stones Cause Bloating
Parsley Celery Ginger And Lemon
Celery helps to eliminate toxin accumulation in the kidneys by increasing urine production which reduces the incidence of kidney stone formation.
Ginger is a good natural source of citrate, which prevents the formation of kidney stones by helping to expel the accumulated toxins through hydration and adequate volumes of urine.
- Blend 4-5 stalks of celery and keep the resulting juice aside in a bowl.
- Take 3 cups of freshly washed parsley , a small piece of ginger and 1 cup of water in a blender.
- Blend the mixture till it attains the consistency of a thick juice.
- Strain it through a sieve into a bowl.
- Add the celery juice to the parsley and ginger mixture.
- Add Â½ cup of lemon juice to it and stir thoroughly.
- Consume 2-3 times a week.
Prevent The Appearance Of Kidney Stones
Parsley helps to stimulate the elimination of fluid in the body, although one study reports that it can also help with the urinary excretion of calcium and increase urinary pH. These factors can together prevent the formation of kidney stones. Learn more about what causes kidney stones and how they are treated.
Recommended Reading: Can Meth Cause Kidney Failure
How Is Cilantro Beneficial For Kidney Health
Cilantro is very useful for removing toxins like mercury from the body. It also protects the kidneys from any harmful substances that may be lethal and cause injuries. It is also known to be effective in treating urinary tract problems and infections.
The antioxidant properties of cilantro may help prevent diabetes-related kidney problems. According to studies, the use of cilantro brought a significant reduction in oxidative damage to the kidneys, restored levels of important antioxidant enzymes, and also managed to lower blood sugar levels.
Could Help Prevent Kidney Stones
Kidney stones are hard mineral deposits that form in your kidneys and cause severe, sharp pain in your back, side, and stomach.
Some research suggests that parsley may aid in preventing kidney stones.
One study found that treating rats with parsley helped increase urine volume, decrease urinary calcium excretion, and raise the acidity of urine .
Parsley has also been shown to act as a natural diuretic, which can increase urination and prevent kidney stone formation .
Still, studies on the effects of parsley tea in humans are limited, and some research has found that it may have minimal impact on kidney stone risk factors .
Therefore, further studies are needed.
Summary Parsley may help increase urination, decrease calcium excretion, and raise the acidity of urine to help treat kidney stones. However, research in humans is limited.
You May Like: What’s Normal Kidney Function
Why We Need To Detox Our Kidneys
A kidney cleanse isnt something to do every once in a while its a practice you should incorporate into your daily life to improve your overall health
So what happens if theyre not working properly and too much protein or toxic material build up in your body? Your blood becomes clogged with these toxins and that can lead to cramps, kidney stones, and many other diseases, which you obviously want to prevent. Here are some important tips to follow:
- Drink plenty of fluids, and limit your consumption of dairy products.
- Reduce your intake of processed foods.
- Get your protein from vegetable products instead of meat.
- Reduce the sugar and salt in your meals, and avoid alcohol.
It takes some effort, but doing these things will absolutely make you feel better.
How To Use Parsley And Lemon To Detox Your Kidneys
20 July, 2020
Few plants are as cleansing as parsley. We use it to add flavor to lots of recipes, but it also has medicinal properties that are very effective for many ailments. When you combine parsley and lemon juice, what you get is an amazing, natural way to detox your kidneys. In this article, well show you how.
You May Like: Seltzer Water And Kidney Stones
Read Also: What Does A Small Kidney Mean
How Do You Know When Its Time To Detox Your Kidneys
Here are some important things to keep in mind:
- What color is your urine? Is it dark brown, like coffee or soda? This is a clear indication that theres a problem with your kidneys.
- High levels of stress.
Remember that these symptoms can be caused by many other diseases or conditions. If youre experiencing more than two or three of them at the same time its probably time to go see your doctor.
Recommended Reading: Can Seltzer Water Cause Kidney Stones
Faq About Pros And Cons Of Parsley 1st Part:
- Parsley is good for inflammation. When the water of parsley, which is very useful in edema, is consumed regularly for a week, it removes inflammation in the body through the urinary tract.
- People use parsley cures in the treatment of urinary tract inflammation, but there are no scientific experiments to prove this scientifically.
- Parsley is good for heartburn. Parsley, which has proved to be good for stomach problems such as acid reflux, regulates stomach acid and prevents heartburn .
- Parsley is good for the eyes and cataracts. Parsley also balances intraocular fluid.
- Parsley is good for the heart and veins because the anti-oxidant substance in it regulates blood flow.
- Parsley is good for the liver because it contributes to the prevention of toxin accumulation in the liver.
You May Like: How Does Lisinopril Affect Your Kidneys
Special Precautions & Warnings
Pregnancy and breast-feedingLIKELY UNSAFE
Not enough is known about the safety of using parsley in medicinal amounts during breast-feeding. It’s best not to use more than typical food amounts of parsley.
Diabetes: Parsley might lower blood sugar levels. Watch for signs of low blood sugar and monitor your blood sugar carefully if you have diabetes and use parsley.
Fluid retention : There is a concern that parsley might cause the body to hold onto sodium , and this increases water retention.
High blood pressure: There is a concern that parsley might cause the body to hold onto sodium , and this could make high blood pressure worse.
Kidney disease: Don’t take parsley if you have kidney disease. Parsley contains chemicals that can make kidney disease worse.
Surgery: Parsley might lower blood glucose levels and could interfere with blood sugar control during and after surgical procedures. Stop using parsley at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
Do You Eat When Doing A Kidney And Liver Juice Cleanse
You can eat during this time of cleansing, but what you eat or dont eat is very important. In order not to tax your kidneys and liver while theyre working hard eliminating toxins, it is better that you follow a certain protocol:
- Most importantly, avoid foods that keep adding on toxins to your detox organs. Foods that are most harmful are: processed foods, flour and sugar products, dairy products, red meat, all vegetable oils, soda, alcohol and coffee.
- It is recommended to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables so that you dont stay hungry.
- Drink plenty of water to help flush out the toxins while doing the cleanse. See this page to understand how much your body needs to stay hydrated, then drink more than that.
- Besides drinking juices and water, you may also drink herbal teas. Drinking dandelion root tea is best during this time of cleansing.
- One of the most powerful kidney-cleansing broth is one that uses celeriac as an ingredient. You can make and drink this broth 2 or 3 times during your cleansing week.
Remember that the remedies listed above are not intended to replace medical care. If youre experiencing a lot of pain from kidney problems, see your doctor immediately.
Some of the links I post on this site are affiliate links. If you go through them to make a purchase, I will earn a small commission . However, note that Im recommending these products because of their quality and that I have good experience using them, not because of the commission to be made.
Read Also: How Much Is Kidney Surgery
How To Store Parsley
To best store fresh parsley, you first need to remove the bottom of the stem. Do not rinse.
Fill a glass or jar halfway with water and place the stem ends into the water. If you keep the plant in the refrigerator, its best to loosely cover it with a plastic bag. Otherwise, parsley can be kept at room temperature.
Change the water every couple of days and discard the herb once the leaves start turning brown. This way, your herb may stay fresh for up to two weeks.
Dried parsley can last in an airtight container in a cool, dark environment for six months to one year .
Fresh parsley can be kept in your refrigerator or at room temperature and lasts up to two weeks. Dried parsley may last up to a year if kept in a cool, dark place.
Also Check: Can Apple Cider Vinegar Hurt Your Kidneys
Assessment Of Antiurolithiatic Activity
Urine collection and analysis
All animals were fasted overnight then urine samples were collected from each rat only the first and last days before and after treatment respectively. These animals were kept in individual cages, and urine was collected in the morning without any preservative substances for crystalluria analysis. The type and number of the crystals were identified and counted using alight microscope . Crystalluria was scored as follows: 0 no crystals 1 1 to 5 crystals per high power field 2 6 to 20 crystals/HPF and 3> 20 crystals/HPF.
At the end of the experiment the animals were killed by cervical decapitation. The abdomen was incised and opened to remove both kidneys from each animal, cleaned off extraneous tissue by ice-cold normal saline. The kidneys fixed in formalin 10% and processes through graded alcohol series and xylene. Then the specimens were embedded in paraffin, sectioned at 5 m, and stained with the hematoxylin and eosin for histopathological examination under light microscope . The number of crystal deposits were counted on 10 HPFs. The mean crystal number per field was taken for each kidney examined. Crystal density was scored as: 0 no crystal deposition 1 1-2 crystals/HPF 2 3-4 crystals/HPF and 3> 4 crystals/HPF. Pictures were taken using digital camera .
Also Check: Can Adderall Cause Kidney Stones