Sweet Red Bean Soup: Recipe Instructions
First, rinse the dried adzuki beans under cold water. Then, soak the beans in water for at least 8 hours .
Drain the beans and transfer to a medium-sized pot. Add 6 cups of fresh water. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 1 hour. Over the course of the hour, add an additional 2 cups of water as needed.
When the beans look soft and broken down, use an immersion blender to blend until the beans are just broken upit shouldnt be completely smooth . You can also transfer to a blender and pulse a few times until you achieve your desired consistency.
Transfer the blended mixture back to the pot. If you like a soupier consistency, feel free to add additional water at this stage until you reach your desired consistency. Add the sugar and orange zest using your trusty microplane.
Stir over medium to medium-high heat to dissolve the sugar. The mixture should bubble very gently.
Next, add the small tapioca pearls.
Cook for 20 minutes until the tapioca pearls become translucent. Some recipes recommend cooking the tapioca separately, but it works just fine to add them directly to the soup. When the tapioca pearls are totally translucent, its ready to serve!
Looking for more authentic recipes? Subscribe to our email list and be sure to follow us on , , , and Youtube!
Zesty Kidney Bean Soup
This kidney bean soup is totally delicious, easy to make, and hearty enough for a meal! With red kidney beans, potatoes, sweet corn and juicy tomatoes, it’s bursting with flavor and perfect for a weeknight dinner.
I always keep a few cans of beans on hand for soups like this one. Personally, I think bean soups are among the best soups because they’re super filling and tend to be packed with flavor. While I’ve got quite a collection of go-to bean soups, it just recently occurred to me that I’d yet to create a red kidney bean soup recipe. Time to change that!
Bean soups are also super versatile. You can season them so many ways!
I seasoned this particular kidney bean soup with a blend of southwestern-inspired spices. As a long time lover of dishes like vegan chili and rice and beans, I feel like these spices go hand-in-hand with red beans. The result was absolutely scrumptious! From now on I’ll be keeping some canned kidney beans in my emergency soup stash, because this stuff is going right into regular rotation.
- Fresh cilantro. Just for topping! Skip it if you’re not a cilantro fan, or substitute scallions.
How To Cook Dry Dark Red Kidney Beans
To cook dry dark red kidney beans , you need to soak the kidney beans in water in advance which will soften the beans and also helps with reducing the toxicity of the raw kidney beans.
We rinse and soak the dry dark red kidney beans for about 6 to 8 hours long or overnight for best results.
Then, we discard the water used for soaking the beans and rinse the beans again in fresh water.
Once this is done, the red kidney beans is ready to be cooked.
The soaked dark red kidney beans can be easily cooked using a pressure cooker on stove top or you can cook them in an instant pot pressure cooker even more easily.
In this recipe for kidney beans and cabbage soup, we cook them in instant pot pressure cooker for about 35 minutes long, followed by a natural pressure release.
We add enough water with spices and cabbage to cook this red kidney beans cabbage soup.
So here is how you can cook delicious, easy, nutritious kidney beans cabbage soup in the instant pot pressure cooker.
Also Check: What Is Kidney Function Test Called
Red Kidney Beans Soup Recipe Notes
Before I get into the recipe, please see some of my notes and process pictures below.
- Cooking time in the instant pot might vary. I usually cook for an hour on the beans/chili setting, de-pressurize, check if it is cooked then add more time if needed. This time it took me 1 hr and 40 mins to get the soup cooked as I wanted. The cooking time varies a lot on type of beans and how old they are .
- You can use other types of multi-cookers to make this soup, even a regular pressure cooker. Please follow safety instructions of each device.
- Some recipes require an almost surgical precision with instructions. But this beans recipe is so easy, you just need to saute everything, add beans, add tomato paste, water and cook. Thats it!!
- Mediterranean flavors dont rely on a lot of spices. Mediterranean food usually has a lot of fresh vegetables and herbs. I add some spice to this soup with the raw slices of red pepper and jalapeno on the bowl. However, if you like your soup itself to be spicy or have a kick you can add more spices in before you close the pressure cooker lid and let them cook with the beans.
- In Albania, we pair bean soups with salads made with pickled vegetables. Some people even add the dressing of the pickled salad back in the soup to add more flavor.
Heres a picture of all the ingredients before I started cooking. Hope it helps you visualize quantities and help with shopping list.
Ingredients for Red Kidney Beans Soup
Tips For Making This The Best Vegan Red Kidney Bean Soup Ever:
Here are some tips to help you along the way.
- If, for some reason, once you’re done cooking the beans in the instantpot, the beans are not soft and tender but are still hard.. just pop the cover back on the IP and add another 10 to 15 minutes on manual high pressure. This has happened to me before, sometimes it’s just because of the specific batch of beans I have on hand.
- TASTE your beans as you go! Taste is subjective. You might like food a lot saltier than I do so 1 teaspoon of salt may not be enough – if you need to add more salt, go for it. If you don’t like the taste of tomato or vinegar, maybe start off with less say 1 tablespoon and add more as needed. Learn to taste your food as you go!
- If you want to keep this oil free then saute your veggies in vegetable broth, but if you do not mind oil – then saute your veggies using 1 tablespoon of olive oil. It adds a nice depth of flavor.
- In this recipe I used dried herbs – but if you have some fresh ones on hand those will work too.
- Like I mentioned above, this recipe is very forgiving… don’t sweat it if you’re missing one or two ingredients… it will still be delicious.
- If you do not have an instant pot and you will be making these using the stove-top method – please please try to soak your beans the night before OR use the quick-soaking method listed in the notes section. This is a MUST.
Are you into juicing by the way?
You May Like: Can You Feel Kidney Pain In Your Side
A Pandan Leaves And Coconut Cream
Add a few pieces of pandan leaves to the soup while boiling. Pandan leaves, also called screw pine leaves, are readily available in tropical countries such as Malaysia and Thailand. It contributes a unique aroma to the red bean soup.
Besides that, you can also swirl a tablespoon ofcoconut creamon top of a bowl of red bean soup before serving. It adds flavor to the red bean soup and doubles up as garnish.
How To Thicken Bean Soup:
When the beans have softened throughout, the soup is ready to serve as it, but you can also thicken the soup by transferring a cup or two or more of the beans and broth to a blender and purée thoroughly. Then return the purée to the cooking pot.
The soup also can be thickened by removing half of the beans to a bowl where they can be mashed by hand with a fork or potato masher then returned to the broth, or some of the beans can be mashed right in the soup pot.
The creamy liquid of a hand or blender purée will nicely suspended a mixture of whole and broken beans in the soup. For a smooth soup puree or whir all the beans in a blender after cooking for a soup with texture, puree only half of the beans.
Acid, sugar, and calcium will slow the softening of beans and keep them firm during cooking. Tomatoes, wine, fruit juices, and vinegar are acidic. Molassesas used in Boston baked beanscontains sugar and calcium. These can be added to the cooking beans near the end of cooking.
Also Check: Can People Die From Kidney Failure
What Texture Is Considered The Best For Red Bean Soup
Red bean soup from different regions and countries have different texture and consistency. However, according to the Cantonese style of red bean soup, the red beans should have disintegrated to the point that the texture of the soup is homogeneous and slightly sandy. Thats why in Cantonese, it is called which translates verbatim as red bean sand.
Making Dried Bean Soup:
Add stock or water to beans. Place the pre-soaked beans in wide, heavy nonreactive pot, a pot wide enough that the beans will be easy to stir. Add enough white stock or water or cooking liquid to cover the beans by at least 2 inches. Make sure the liquid covers the beans throughout the cooking time.
Boil then simmer. Bring the beans and liquid to a boil and then immediately reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook the beans at a simmer. Boiling beans usually results in uneven cokingsome beans will disintegrate in the turbulence of boiling water and the seed coat of others will stay tough and never become tender.
Simmer the beans until they become evenly tender stirring occasionally to prevent beans from settling on the bottom and scorching. Simmering time will depend upon the amount of beanssimmering a large pot of beans will take 2 to 3 hours.
Check the level of cooking liquid and add more as necessary to keep the beans covered. To preserve the color of black and red beans minimize the amount of cooking liquid which draw pigments out of the seed coats but keep the beans covered. Skim off any foam or impurities that rise to the top of the cooking liquid.
Cook until beans are tender. Check the texture of the beans for doneness as you go. A bean well-cooked is soft and creamy in texture but still retains its shape it is not hard or grainy. A well-cooked bean should be soft and easy to mash with a fork or spoon.
Recommended Reading: Is A Keto Diet Good For Someone With Kidney Disease
How To Make The Guacamole Salsa
The recipe called for a quick guacamole to use as a topping. It was great with the soup. The key is to make it chunkier than a normal guacamole.
I also made some quick tortilla strips as well to add some crunch to the soup. I just sliced up about six corn tortillas and tossed them with a little olive oil, chili powder, salt, and pepper and baked them until they got crispy, about 15 minutes.
You could also just add a few tortilla chips to the soup. They add a great crunch to the soup.
The soup itself is spicy but not crazy spicy. Just a nice gentle heat. But it does have tons of flavor from the cumin and veggies and everything.
There is nothing not to love about this hearty red kidney bean soup. Give it a shot!
How To Cook Perfect Rice On The Stove Every Time
Spoon the rice over the bowls of sausage and bean soup and garnish with sliced green onions and a liberal dose of hot sauce to taste. I recommend Crystal hot sauce its got that Louisiana twang!
Recommended Reading: Which Dry Fruit Is Good For Kidney Patient
Looking For A Healthy Dish Or Just Missing The Beloved Beans Lets Check Out This Red Kidney Bean Soup Recipe For Tasty Meals
As they say, not every carbs being created equal. There are bad carbs and good carbs nowadays. The bad carbs are the ones that havent got much nutritional benefits for our body. These carbs mostly provide a ton of pure energy quickly which gets absorbed by our body quickly and as a result of all this we get hungry again quickly.
As an evolutionary result of our being between these feasting periods we are putting on extra weight getting ready for the times when there wont be much food available. The only problem is that probably that time wont come into our super civilized industrialized life. In our XXI. century prowling area food is only a door away and opening that door doesnt burn much calories.
The good carbs are supposed to be better carbs because -apart of the energy- we gain various vitamins, minerals and fiber that our body needs to function well. These carbs are being absorbed slower by our body which results elongated times feeling satisfied and looking for food again. Fewer meals results less calorie intake and on the long run balanced diet with less fat on us.
When we worked on farms toiling soil all day long there were no such things though. In those times bad carbs were the good carbs because they provided sufficient calories for the long day of work in the harsh environment. Nonetheless if they didnt get the vitamins and minerals that resulted in weakened immune system and early death by some trivial common cold virus.
Instant Pot Red Kidney Beans Soup
This Red Kidney Beans Soup is cooked in the instant pot with plenty of fresh vegetables and olive oil. I love serving this beans soup with rice and pickled vegetables. I tend to add some kick to the soup by spreading sliced, raw jalapenos & red chilis to soup bowl.
Instant Pot Red Kidney Beans Soup
Some links in my posts may be affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you purchase items by clicking on these links. I will always disclose when a product in a post has been gifted by a company as well as when a post or product is sponsored.
Recommended Reading: Is Fennel Good For Kidneys
Whats The Best Sausage To Use For Red Bean Soup
Andouille sausage is the most authentic sausage to use for this classic New Orleans red bean soup recipe.
Though andouille is traditionally a French sausage, its also synonymous with Louisianas Cajun and Creole recipes. La Place, Louisiana is known as the Andouille Capitol of the World, known for its Cajun andouille.
If you cant find andouille, substitute it with a spicy smoked sausage like kielbasa
How To Make Kidney Bean Soup
The following is a detailed photo tutorial on how to make this dish. Scroll all the way down if you’d like to skip right to the recipe!
- Heat your oil in a large pot, then add diced onion and bell pepper. Sweat them for a few minutes, until they start to soften up, then add the garlic, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Cook everything for a minute more. Stir the mixture often to prevent burning.
- Stir in the beans, broth, and diced potato. Simmer the soup for about 20 minutes, until the potato is tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes and let the soup continue simmering for 5 minutes.
- Take the pot off of the burner and blend about a third of the soup. You can use a hand-held immersion blender like I did , or very carefully transfer a portion of the soup to a food processor or blender for blending. Feel free to blend more of the soup if you’d like it creamier, or less if you’d prefer a chunkier soup.
- At this point you can reheat the soup on the stove if it has cooled down too much.
- Stir in some thawed frozen corn and season the soup with lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle your kidney bean soup into bowls and top each with some fresh cilantro.
Also Check: Why Would You Have An Ultrasound On Your Kidneys
Dark Red Kidney Beans Cabbage Soup In Instant Pot
Published: Modified: Jul 25, 2021 by Recipe Garden This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Dark red kidney beans cabbage soup or stew made in the instant pot is delicious, healthy nutritious homemade vegetarian soup perfect for anyone looking for a bean veggie soup from scratch!
This soup or stew with red kidney beans and cabbage has a consistency of vegetarian/vegan chili as well.
Ideally, a bowl of hot soup is great for fall or cold winter night dinners, but you can have it anytime even on a summer day if you want something really nutritious, delicious, vegetarian, protein rich & filling once you have enjoyed all those delicious cold or frozen summer treats, salads & drinks.
The red kidney beans is different from other red beans varieties.
You can read more information on kidney beans here& also you can get more information specifically on cooking, freezing etc of dried red kidney beans here.