Asparagus Improves Kidney Function
Asparagus was considered the perfect solution for curing urinary problems in Europe and Asia, its native countries. Asparagus is among the top foods good for kidneys.
- It contains glycosides as well as saponins, which are diuretic and purify the blood by removing toxins.
- Regular consumption of asparagus will lead to increased production of urine and it soothes the urinary system, enhancing the cellular activities in the kidneys, dissolving acids, salts in kidneys that can cause kidney stones.
- The hydroxynicotianamine present in asparagus can help prevent hypertension and improve kidney function.
Eat A Moderate Amount Of Protein
About 20-30% of your calorie intake should come from protein. A diet too rich in protein can damage the kidneys, although adequate intake is important for the normal functioning of the body.
- If you already have kidney dysfunction, you should avoid high protein diets because they damage the kidneys .
- Choose lean protein, such as fish, boneless, skinless chicken, beans, and low-fat cheese.
We’re Sorry The Page You’re Looking For Can’t Be Found
It is possible that you used an outdated or expired MedicineNet link or you may have typed the address incorrectly.
Please try searching using the search field above. If you’re not sure of the spelling, type the first few letters, followed by an asterisk.
To help you find what you are looking for, these links may help.
Browse our A-Z Lists:
Read Also: Kidney Sickness Symptoms
The Best Natural Herbs For Your Kidneys
Phytotherapy is an ideal way to detox your kidneys, by filtering the bloodstream, reducing inflammation, and preventing kidney stone formation.
- In the first place, Basil is an excellent treatment to avoid painful kidney stones. You can make a tea using 5 leaves of basil and a tablespoon of honey.
- Dandelion is also one of the best herbs for your digestion, liver, and kidneys. Its amazing for a detox regimen. Just make a tea using two teaspoons of the dried flowers and boil them for 15 minutes. Drinking this once a day is perfect.
- And finally, ginger: If youre already wild about ginger youre in luck. Its considered to be one of the best natural roots for treating problems like inflammation, pain, infections. In addition to that it also purifies and strengthens the liver and kidneys.
Olive Oil Promotes Healthy Kidneys
The benefits of a Mediterranean diet cannot be overemphasized! People sticking to a Mediterranean diet have a 50% reduced chance of contracting chronic kidney disease.
- Olive oil is rich in MUFA or monunsaturated fats that are good for the heart.
- One tablespoon of olive oil contains less than 1 mg of potassium and sodium and zero phosphorus, all of which are to be restricted by CKD patients.
Also Check: Can Soda Pop Cause Kidney Stones
Signs That Your Kidneys May Have Problems
For example, some days you might feel more tired than others, or have some swelling in your legs. This can be perfectly normal, but if its something that doesnt go away or is accompanied by discomfort or the constant urge to urinate, you should see a doctor. Here are some of the common symptoms:
- Continual fatigue
- Swelling in the legs, especially around the ankles
- Itching throughout the body, nervousness
- Frequent urination, much more often than usual
- Loss of appetite, vomiting, and dizziness
- Tingling in hands and legs
- Constantly looking forward to sleeping
- Patches of skin that become darkened
What Is The Best Thing To Drink For Your Kidneys
Your kidneys love fluids. In fact, your kidneys work day and night regulating the fluids in your body. Your kidneys work best when they have just the right amount of fluid to work with.
Between 70 and 80 percent of your body weight is water, according to the National Kidney Foundation. Your kidneys are in charge of keeping the right amount of water in your body, and for keeping those fluids free from toxins.
Recommended Reading: What Can Cause A Swollen Kidney
Follow A Low Phosphate Diet If Necessary
If you have a high level of phosphate in the body, the doctor may advise you to follow a diet low in phosphate. Particularly rich foods are dairy products, eggs, red meat, and fish. So remember to limit your consumption of these foods .
- If you do not get any results from these dietary changes, your doctor may prescribe phosphate binders. These drugs are taken with meals and help absorb phosphates from food .
How Many Calories Do I Need
Every person is different. Calories are like fuel. If you dont eat enough calories, you body will use protein for energy. This protein comes from your muscles. This can make you weak and may also cause damage to the kidneys. It is important to make sure you are getting the right amount of calories. The right amounts of calories are important to:
- Help you stay at a healthy weight
- Give you energy to do your daily tasks
- Help your body use the protein in food to build muscle and tissues.
Too many calories can cause extra weight gain which can be a burden on the kidney. If you are overweight, some weight loss may be beneficial. If weight loss is desired or you have diabetes, you should meet with a dietitian to set up a plan based on your kidney blood tests, current food choices and daily activities.
Should I be taking any vitamin and mineral supplements?
Most people get enough vitamins and minerals to stay healthy by eating a variety of foods each day. You need to limit some foods because you have kidney disease that would have given you vitamins and minerals. If so, you may need to take special vitamins or minerals. You should only take the vitamins and minerals your dietitian or healthcare provider tells you to take because some may be harmful to people with kidney disease.
Where can I get more information?
Recommended Reading: What Laxative Is Safe For Kidneys
Whats Good For Your Kidneys Cabbage
Cabbage is a low-calorie leafy veggie available in red purple white and green and is full of phytochemicals.
- Cabbage contains powerful antioxidants like polyphenols and sulfur compounds that can help destroy free radicals that are harmful for the body, thereby reducing chances of renal dysfunction.
- It is rich in vitamins as well as minerals that are beneficial for kidney functioning.
- Cabbage contains potassium, which counteracts sodium effects and helps in sodium excretion through urine, thereby keeping kidneys stronger.
Note: Both green and red cabbage contain antioxidants, but red cabbage contains the maximum with 30% more.
Eat Cabbage raw or cooked. Add it to soups salads stews or slaws or just ferment it to make a sauerkraut. It forms part of the best diet for kidney disease.
Follow A Low Protein Diet If Necessary
In the case of severe renal dysfunction, it is essential to follow a high protein diet to avoid an excessive accumulation of residual metabolites in the blood. Proteins leave waste during their metabolism, which increases the work of the kidneys to expel these residues from the body .
- Ask your doctor if you should follow a low protein diet. If this is the case, the doctor will put you in contact with a dietitian to better balance your diet.
Read Also: Watermelon For Kidneys
How To Repair Your Kidneys Naturally
March 31, 2017 By Seattle Urban Nature
Do you suffer from kidney damage or disease? If so, youll know how frightening and life-changing it can be if these vital organs of ours underperform. It can lead to dialysis, kidney transplants or in the saddest of circumstances even death.
Our kidneys are our guardian angels. They are the caretakers of our capillaries cleaning our blood from unwanted minerals and poisonous waste, balancing our bodily fluids and blood pressure and coordinating control of the right number of red blood cells.
Its important you take good care of your kidneys and a healthy lifestyle plays a pivotal role. Even if youre suffering kidney failure, a healthy lifestyle can help you recover in acute cases or, when kidney failure hits hardest, it can slow-down the impacts of chronic failure.
Translating Research Into Treatment
The team will now study ABT-263 in human kidneys that are too damaged to be used in transplant operations. If it works, this drug could be used to protect transplant recipients and patients with chronic kidney disease who need to have operations that carry a risk of acute kidney injury when your kidneys suddenly fail.
This work shows that senescent cells are not simply harmless markers of an old or damaged kidney – they help make kidneys more vulnerable to further injury and scarring, says David. The next step would be to run a clinical trial to target these cells – with the goal of restoring healthy, young behaviour to the kidneys of the elderly and those with chronic kidney disease.
I have high hopes that this is a line of enquiry which we can drive all the way from test tubes and experimental models through to an important new treatment to protect patients against progression to kidney failure.
Dr Maria Tennant, head of communications at Kidney Research UK said: This fascinating study reveals a new way to target senescent cells in human kidneys. We are committed to driving forward research that will transform treatments for kidney patients and this study could pave the way for new treatments to protect more kidneys, reverse the harmful scarring process and ensure transplanted kidneys work well for longer.
Read the full paper here.
Don’t Miss: Does Red Wine Cause Kidney Stones
Easy Ways To Cleanse Your Kidneys
The kidneys are amazing little organs. Each day, they process about 200 quarts of blood, getting rid of excess water and waste products, removing toxins and keeping the body functioning smoothly. If the kidneys are not able to remove toxins and waste from the body, they will build up in the body and hinder the normal function of kidneys, liver and other organs, resulting in exhaustion, stomach pain, headaches, water retention and other problems. Buildup of toxins and waste also may lead to kidney stones, a mass of crystals or unprocessed minerals which can grow to the size of a golf ball. Kidney stones affect 10-15 percent of American adults, but also may be found in children as young as five.
Kidney stones causes and symptoms
There are many causes of kidney stones, such as dehydration, excessively acidic urine, urinary tract infections, buildup of waste and toxins in the kidneys, among others. The symptoms of kidney stones include excessive lower back, abdominal or urinary tract pain which may be sharp, mild or excruciating, severe vomiting or feeling nauseated, persistent urge to pass urine, and constant chills or sweating. While the symptoms vary depending on the size of the stones, unceasing pain and discomfort on the sides is a good reason to see a urologist. Kidney stones are easily curable if diagnosed early.
Why you should cleanse your kidneys
Below are 8 easy ways to cleanse your kidneys
Can Your Damaged Kidneys Be Repaired
Damage to the kidney is permanent. However, it is possible to reduce the progress of damage by following a few set of instructions. Diabetes and blood pressure are the vital role players apart from other health troubles such as injuries, kidney stones, cancer, and infections. In a few cases, it is feasible to prevent the damage to the kidneys altogether. If the case is severe, kidneys failed permanently, and the individual will require dialysis and the frequency depend on the severity.
Recommended Reading: Is Aleve Ok For Kidneys
Red Bell Pepper Kidney Healthy Food
Red bell pepper contains the maximum amount of vitamins as compared to other colors and is an important part of kidney disease diet.
- It is an excellent vegetable containing Vitamin C, A, B6, Folic acid along with fiber, which is conducive to good health of kidneys.
- In addition, it is low in potassium.
- Jazz up your salad with these brightly colored peppers or just add a crunch to your pizza in order to avoid kidney failure.
- They are low in calorie and suitable for those suffering from kidney disease. Even a whole cup will only add 45 calories and give you your daily quota of Vitamin A and C.
- It contains phytochemicals as well as beta carotene giving you antioxidants.
Mushrooms Helps Regulate Kidney Function
The Poria fungus has been used over 2000 years ago in Asian medicine in China and Japan, as it has excellent effects on the kidney. Even today, it is prescribed in traditional Chinese patent medicines, being described as a diuretic and tonic.
- Mushrooms help in the functioning of kidneys by regulating the body fluid levels.
- It also helps in balance water throughout the body.
- Mushroom is also anti inflammatory and an antioxidant and can be considered a scavenger of free radicals.
- It reduces oxidative stress, thereby holding out hope for those with chronic kidney disease.
You May Like: Bleeding Kidney Treatment
How To Use Baking Soda For Kidney Repair
As baking soda is not toxic in nature it can be consumed easily by everyone to prevent kidney diseases and degeneration of endocrine system in body. It is also an excellent agent for chemotherapy. Baking soda can be taken easily at home by following steps mentioned below:-
Control Your Blood Sugar
People with diabetes, or a condition that causes high blood sugar, may develop kidney damage. When your bodys cells cant use the glucose in your blood, your kidneys are forced to work extra hard to filter your blood. Over years of exertion, this can lead to life-threatening damage.
However, if you can control your blood sugar, you reduce the risk of damage. Also, if the damage is caught early, your doctor can take steps to reduce or prevent additional damage.
Also Check: Can You Have 4 Kidneys
How Does Bicarbonate Repair Kidneys
When those with significant kidney damage undergo dialysis or kidney treatment, sodium bicarbonate is one of the most common agents used. This process, known as acid buffering, is means of base supplementation and is the basis for most new forms of dialysis treatments. This agent, when processed through the dialysis machine, helps in the removal of excess fluids and waste material from your bloodstream.
Therefore, dialysis is helping add the sodium bicarbonate that your kidneys can no longer produce into your endocrine system to help you process food and waste materials in your bloodstream. When your body is producing normal amounts of bicarbonate on its own, this can extend the life of your kidneys, your overall endocrine system, and your total lifespan.
Berries Natural Kidney Cleanse
Cranberries strawberries blueberries raspberries you name it, theyre good for your kidney.
- Berries are a great source of Vitamin C as well as fiber, antioxidants.
- They are low in potassium, so those with CKD and on a potassium limited diet can consume them in moderation.
- Berries can reduce blood pressure in those suffering from CKD.
- Raspberry helps dialysis patients by reducing joint inflammation.
You May Like: Safe Laxative For Kidney Disease
Symptoms Of Kidney Disease
In the early stages of kidney disease, people can have no symptoms. In fact, some people have no symptoms until over 90 per cent of their kidney function has gone. This is unfortunate because early detection of kidney disease and treatment is the key to preventing kidney failure.
Symptoms of kidney disease can include:
- bad breath an
- a metallic taste in the mouth.
These symptoms can be caused by other conditions, but if you are in a high-risk group for kidney disease, speak with your doctor.
How Can I Learn What I Should Eat
All dialysis and transplant centers have a dietitian who can help you plan your meals. A renal dietitian has special training in counseling people with kidney failure.
Nutrition counseling from a registered dietitian to help meet your medical or health goals is called medical nutrition therapy . Medicare pays for MNT for people with kidney disease with a written referral from your doctor. If you have insurance other than Medicare, ask if it covers MNT for kidney failure. You will also need a referral from your health care provider to a dietitian for MNT services.
You can find a registered dietitian online through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics or through your health care provider. Work closely with your dietitian to develop a meal plan that includes foods and drinks you enjoy eating while maintaining your health.
Read Also: Carbonation And Kidney Stones
The Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains an acid that is beneficial to the kidneys. At first glance this may seem contradictory because were trying not to raise the level of acidity in the blood. However, what really makes apple cider vinegar work is its ability to favor good digestion and help detox your kidneys. Try taking a glass of water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar after your main meal. Why not give it a shot?